Saturday, September 25, 2010

An Original 1971 Watercolor Portrait Of Angela Davis Painted By Leon Lank Leonard Sr.


Here Is An Incredible Piece Of American Civil Rights History. This Original Watercolor Portrait Of Pioneering Woman's Activist & Black Panther Member Angela Davis, Is Masterfully Painted By The Incredible Hands Of Afro American Artisan Leon Lank Leonard. This Incredible Piece Of Art Is Dated 1971 And Was Purchased From The Artist That Year In Watts, Ca. This Would Be Considered One Of The Greatest Works By This Highly Collectible Afro American Artist, Except It Has Never Been Photographed. There Are No Other Images Of This Painting And No One Knows It Exists Except My Father And I. It Is A Blessing To Look Into The Beautiful Face Of Angela Davis Every Morning & I Wanted To Share These Never Before Seen Pictures On My XtimemachineX Art Journal. Leon Lank Leonard Paintings, Sculpture, & Ceramics Are Sought After By Museums Across The Country And Collected By Numerous Private Collectors Including Bill Cosby, Who Has Several Pieces By This Artist. The Song "Angela" By John Lennon & Yoko Ono Is Written About Angela Davis. Auction Estimate $10,000 - $15,000.

3 comments:

  1. Leon Lank Leonard was my first art teacher at Edison Jr High, in Los Angeles CA (South Central L. A.). He was an incredible person and a big admirer of the civil rights radicals, such as Angela Davis. You indeed have one of his masterpieces. I saw him work on many pieces during my time spent in his classroom. His talent was always inspirational. I remember how great and inspired he was, at the execution of all his works, primarily portraits of the likes of MLK. Any info of his life post mid-70s would be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leon Lank Leonard is my Grandfather, and growing up as a young child, there were many works like this in his home. He remains still, my first and earliest influence on my own work.. -Anthony Leonard

    ReplyDelete
  3. He was my Art Teacher at Audubon Junior High!! Class. Nothing but calss!

    ReplyDelete